Video Game Portal 2 (PC) (2011)

Portal 2 (PC) (2011)

Title screen (artwork changes as you progress throughout the game).
Relevant Links:
Portal 2 Website
Portal 2 (Wikipedia.org)
Portal 2 (PC) (MetaCritic.com)

20121225: [20150204 Edit]
First Impressions:
This game has amazing graphics. The environment is breathtaking. I like the familiar feeling of the original game, Portal (2007), mixed with a more life-threatening feel. The first Portal started out on a much lighter note and ended on a dark one. There's certainly the same frequency of humor in the sequel as the first, but in between moments of humor, the environment gives the game a much darker feeling.

Check out what's drawn on the panels.
I can't wait to continue with the game.

Progress: (via timestamps of screenshots)
20121225 10:45 PM PT to 11:08 PM PT End @ Chapter 1 Room 5

20121226:
I continued playing today and I realized I forgot to make in-depth comments on the voices. When you first start the game, you're greeted by a robot with an English accent. Full of humor, imagine you're speaking to Ricky Gervais.

Remark: I decided to do some reading on the matter. Apparently the robot's name is Wheatley and is voiced by Stephen Merchant, who has collaborated with Ricky Gervais on various works including the British sitcom The Office.

Startling Wheatley.
Overall, half the reason I play the game is to listen to the commentary. Actually, perhaps more than half.

Observation: This game has a longer loading time between levels than Portal. When you enter the elevator, you don't have to turn around. After the level loads, you'll automatically be facing towards the exit.

Hahaha. This one cracked me up. SPOILER. "Well done. Here come the test results: You are a horrible person. That's what it says: A horrible person. We weren't even testing for that." - GLaDOS END SPOILER.

I like this new testing element: hard light bridges.

Hard light bridge.
This one has a long set-up. SPOILER. "That jumpsuit you're wearing looks stupid. That's not me talking, it's right here in your file. On other people it looks fine, but right here a scientist has noted that on you it looks "stupid". Well, what does a neck-bearded old engineer know about fashion? He probably – Oh, wait. It's a she. Still, what does she know? Oh wait, it says she has a medical degree. In fashion! From France!" - GLaDOS END SPOILER.

Progress: (via timestamps of screenshots)
20121226 8:31 AM PT to 8:50 AM PT End @ Chapter 1 Room 7
20121226 10:49 AM PT to 1:00 PM PT End @ Chapter 4 Room 20
20121226 2:14 PM PT to 3:27 PM PT End @ Chapter 6

20121227 AM Hours:
Yesterday, I was stuck at the entrance of the facility. I thought the game was close to finishing, but there was much more. More story unfolds and I've encountered two new testing elements: orange and blue gel.

Orange gel.
I unlocked an achievement for looking at a painting of Cave Johnson and Caroline. GLaDOS says for some reason she knows the woman. At that point I sort of catch on to what she's getting at.

20121227 Noon: [20150204 Edit]
I get to a part in the game where GLaDOS repeats the name Caroline and tells the player character she has to go think a while. That's when I thought the situation seemed clear, but story can easily take an extra unsuspected twist. I'm excited.

Aww. Not the saddest moment. But certainly sad. SPOILER. "Goodbye, Sir." END SPOILER.

I was really puzzled by one of the test chambers. (Chapter 7 Room 16)

The level that I had the most trouble with.
In a different chamber, I wasn't stuck, but rather kept bouncing when I didn't want to. Then I remembered that you can press the control button to ignore the bouncing. Thank goodness.

Observation: I like how the game adjusts for minute errors. Almost like a generalized auto-aim. It makes the game enjoyable as opposed to annoying.

The ending is great, because there's still moments of tension regarding your fate.

Progress: (via timestamps of screenshots)
20121227 1:17 AM PT to 3:04 AM PT End @ Chapter 7 1972
20121227 12:07 PM PT to 2:25 PM PT End @ Chapter 8 Room 15
20121227 6:07 PM PT to 7:12 PM PT End.

Companion cube.
I'd like to finish with saying overall this game is amazing. In particular, it has a fantastic story, the gameplay is kept fresh, the game has beautiful and large levels with attention to detail, it has great, often humorous, dialogue, and last, but not least, the game has a solid soundtrack and sound.

[20130113]
The main story for Portal 2 took me longer to finish than the main story for Portal. I spent about 9 to 10 hours playing Portal 2. I estimate having spent 4 to 5 hours on my first playthrough with Portal.

20140703: [20150204]
Today my friend Josh and I played part of the Portal 2 co-op mode. More specifically, living in two separate states, we played the online co-op mode.

As Atlas, I placed a blue portal on the wall.
In this mode you and a friend play as Atlas (me) and P-body (Josh). While puzzle solving is similar to the single-player mode, it differs in that each player is only able to fire a single portal color: Atlas firing blue and P-body firing orange. As such, you and your friend must work together in order to solve the mode's puzzles.

One useful feature the game provides is the ability to see what the other player sees. Another useful feature, or in fact a necessary feature, is a countdown timer. Use it to get pass events that require precise, coordinated (possibly simultaneous) actions.

We stopped playing somewhere in the middle of Course 2: Mass and Velocity.

No comments:

Let me know what you think!